Cape Town - The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced the top five nomination list for the 2016 African Player of the Year and the 2016 African Player of the Year - Based in Africa award.
Four Mamelodi Sundowns players have made the final cut for the 'Based in Africa’ player of the year award, namely Khama Billiat, Hlompho Kekana, Denis Onyango and Keagan Dolly.
According to the official CAF website, the top five was decided by votes from the members of the CAF Media Committee, CAF Technical & Development Committee and half of the 20-member Panel of Experts.
The CAF 2016 Awards Gala will be held on Thursday, January 5, 2017 in Abuja, Nigeria.
For the African Player of the Year, they are:
1. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon & Borrusia Dortmund)
2. Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Leicester City)
3. Sadio Mane (Senegal & Liverpool)
4. Mohamed Salah (Egypt & Roma)
5. Islam Slimani (Algeria & Leicester City)
For the African Player of the Year (Based in Africa), the top five are:
1. Khama Billiat (Mamelodi Sundowns & Zimbabwe)
2. Keegan Dolly (Mamelodi Sundowns & South Africa)
3. Rainford Kalaba (TP Mazembe & Zambia)
4. Hlompho Kekana (Mamelodi Sundowns & South Africa)
5. Denis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns & Uganda)