Cape Town City book TKO semi-final spot

2016-11-05 18:02
Lehlohonolo Majoro (Gallo Images)

Cape Town - A thrilling Telkom Knockout quarter-final clash at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday saw Cape Town City clinch a 4-3 victory Baroka FC after extra-time.

The Cape side dominated the first 30 minutes of the game and were seemingly coasting at 2-0 up. But Baroka grew stronger towards half-time and pulled one back before the break. The second half provided end-to-end action, with 3-3 at the end of regulation time probably a fair reflection before the visitors snatched a late winner.

City were rewarded for a bright start to the game when they scored in the seventh minute, Lehlohonolo Majoro slotting home from 10-yards out after a pass from Lebogang Manyama in the box, the goal made by Aubrey Ngoma's scintillating run.

Ngoma was the provider of the visitor's second goal as well, whipping in an inch-perfect cross which set up Bongolethu Jayiya a comfortable header in the 20th minute.

As the game went past the half-hour mark, Baroka finally began to find more edge to their attacking play and after a period of sustained pressure they pulled a goal back just before the break when Albert Mothupa's header from a free-kick caught Shu-aib Walters off his line.

Baroka continued the pressure after the break although it was home keeper Oscarine Masuluke who had to make the first save when he did well to get a block on Majoro's volley.

The Limpopo team were back on level terms just before the hour mark when Jackie Motshwegwa latched onto a loose ball 20-yards out to net with an expertly-taken volley.

After that the game opened up with both teams looking a threat going forward, opportunities arriving regularly at both ends.

The Cape side thought they had won the game in regulation time when Given Mashikinya sent a 91st-minute free-kick into the top corner.

But Bakgaga were not going down without a fight and levelled the game in the 93rd minute through Mzwanele Mahashe's well-struck volley from the edge of the box.

There were half chances in both boxes during extra-time as the game remained stretched, Geofrey Massa going closest when his 109th-minute header flashed inches over the bar.

The winner arrived in the 115th minute, though, when a flowing move from Eric Tinkler's side saw the ball played by Manyama to Sibusiso Masina in the box, the latter obliging with a clinical angled finish to send the Cape side through.

Read more on:    cape town city  |  psl  |  lehlohonolo majoro  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

01 April 2017
Golden Arrows v Highlands Park, Chatsworth Stadium 15:00
SuperSport United v Baroka FC, Mbombela Stadium 15:00
Wits v Platinum Stars, Bidvest Stadium 18:00
Free State Stars v Orlando Pirates, Goble Park 18:00
Kaizer Chiefs v Mamelodi Sundowns, FNB Stadium 20:15
Maritzburg United v Ajax Cape Town, Harry Gwala Stadium 20:15
02 April 2017
Polokwane City v Bloemfontein Celtic, Peter Mokaba Stadium 15:00
03 April 2017
Cape Town City FC v Chippa United, Athlone Stadium 19:30
Team P W PTS
Previous Results

Date Home Team Result Away Team

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Love 2 Meet
SuperBru Super Rugby challenge

Enter and challenge Sport24's staff!


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.