Johannesburg - The National Soccer League (NSL) has confirmed a split between the Premier Soccer League (PSL) and the National First Division (NFD), which will now operate as a stand-alone entity.
The NSL, which oversees professional soccer in South Africa, including the Absa Premiership and top-flight cup competitions, said on Thursday the 2012/13 NFD season would kick off on September 14.
The organisation had previously suspended the second-tier fixtures for the new campaign.
"Today's special general meeting (SGM) affirmed the decision adopted at the SGM on August 1 to make the NFD a stand-alone league," the NSL said in a statement.
"Subsequently, a sub-committee of six members has been formed to oversee the stand-alone process of the NFD."
The sub-committee would consist of convenor Kaizer Motaung, John Comitis, Mato Madlala, Jabu Khumalo, Pierre Delvaux and Pat Malabela.
The NSL had said earlier in August that "members agreed that the NFD should be a stand-alone league in an effort to make it more viable as an attractive brand."