No vuvuzela ban - SAFSA
Chiefs supporters (Gallo Images)
Johannesburg - Director of the SA Football Supporters’ Association (SAFSA) Saddam Maake said on Thursday that no one would ban the vuvuzela as long as he was alive.
"As long as I am still alive no one can stop the vuvuzela. I will be the first one to be arrested out of the 49 million South Africans," Maake said in response to a comment by Premier Soccer League prosecutor Zola Majavu that the instruments could be banned if supporters continued throwing them onto the field during matches.
"This call has a potential to undermine South Africa’s own invention - an instrument which forms a crucial part of the history of the South African Football," Maake said in a statement.
"On the May 15 2010 South Africans gathered in Sandton and other parts of the country to show how much they embraced the vuvuzela and the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
"It was the same vuvuzela which contributed to FIFA naming the 2010 FIFA World Cup the best ever in 20 years," he said.
Majavu made the comment earlier on Thursday during an appearance with Kaizer Chiefs chairman Kaizer Motaung.
Motaung apologised for fans throwing two vuvuzelas and a cabbage onto the field during an MTN8 semi-final against Orlando Pirates at the FNB Stadium on September 26.
Majavu had ordered Motaung to address the media as part of Chiefs' punishment for the behaviour of its fans.
Chiefs was found guilty of failing to control its fans and was fined R500 000 which was suspended.