News24

Mphela is not entitled to start

2011-02-17 10:11

Johannesburg - Ian Gorowa has admitted Katlego Mphela will have to fight for a place in the Mamelodi Sundowns first-team after returning from his self-imposed exile.

On Wednesday morning, the Bafana Bafana striker took part in his first training session at Chloorkop for more than three weeks after going AWOL in an attempt to force through a move overseas.

Caretaker coach Gorowa revealed that he was informed that Mphela had been persuaded to return following a meeting with club President Patrice Motsepe on Tuesday night but gave no guarantees last season's PSL top scorer would walk back into his team.

"Number one he has to prove his worth to play for Sundowns," he told Football365.co.za.

"Katlego is going to have to fight for his position because it's not like I'm just going to throw him in there straight-away. Nyasha (Mushekwi) is playing well and we also have Mabhuti (Khenyeza) so as a coach I'm happy to have so many players to choose from."

Mphela's last appearance for Sundowns came in the 1-0 defeat to SuperSport United back on January 22.

Gorowa replaced Spaniard Antonio Lopez Habas in the hotseat earlier this month and admitted he is delighted to be able to call on a player who scored 10 international goals for Bafana Bafana in 2010.

He said: "Katlego adds value to the team and I'm happy he is back. I'm sure he now knows he has to get on with playing football and leave everything to other people to sort it out. It's important not only for Sundowns but for Bafana Bafana because he is one of the top strikers in the country. We will help him get his form back." 

Football411

Comments
  • Sandile - 2011-02-17 10:49

    Silly boy! But welcome back.

  • tommy 2 - 2011-02-17 11:26

    He has to be The "MOEMISH" of the season. Katlego you can go overseas but please dont go and be a bench warmer.

  • emohex555 - 2011-02-17 11:38

    Good.... goes to show that if you don't stand up for yourself; people will keep walking over you. As childish as his antics may have been, he got what he wanted and got to sit around the table with one of the most powerful men in south africa... Dare I even say he is a Football revolutionary. Well done K.M

      Mxhuma - 2011-02-19 14:25

      I do not agree with you at all. This man signed a 4 year contract last year before the SWC. He already knew at that time that he plans to go overseas. Now he has stayed away from football this long and in the process has put a blemish on his otherwise promising soccer career. By the way the man we are talking about here is ......years!

  • zaza - 2011-02-17 11:40

    @Tommy2 u r right my friend and @Mpela my man if u did went to school u will know how to miss class its feels bad and here @Sundowns we dont want people missing training so u behave and be the good boy u r still contracted with the club and we r going to let u go when a good offer comes not when yr manager tells u to go its Sundowns call not him,now go and fight for ye place Mustekwi his taking it.

  • Terry - 2011-02-17 12:38

    I really don't understand our local players. They believe that they are bigger than the game and are playing in a league that is far behind Europe. This would never happen in England!!

      emohex555 - 2011-02-17 22:55

      errr, get real guy- have you ever watched the PSL? I imagine they are on the same level as the fourth league in England. football in this country will never get better if we insist on stiffling the ambitions of our players. SA public has to take off the public and look at the PSL for what it really is- a KAK league.... has any SA team (except for pirates) ever won the African champions league? cumon, open your eyes.

  • lsdlamini - 2011-02-17 15:05

    This is rediculous. The damage is already done and now we are bowing down to this ill-disceplined boy. This man may have cost us the league by pulling this disappearing act. He showed us the middle finger when we needed him most. And now that he wants to save his national team position he comes back. He even gets Pitso to call Motsepe on his behalf. I say Mphela must be boycotted by the fans the same way Habas was. We don't need him. We can win or lose without him in my opinion. This is TWAK man!

  • motimele.m - 2011-02-17 15:10

    How can Sundowns say they refuse to sell him and then the president says he will be happy if KG never plays for Sundowns again

  • scooter moepeng - 2011-02-18 07:22

    Why welcoming him back, He is iresponsible moes. that's why sundowns won't win the league, its because they welcome useless people to their team!!! lol

  • pages:
  • 1