News24

No AFCON favourites - Baloyi

2012-11-14 20:54

Johannesburg - No team should be considered favourites for next year's Africa Cup of Nations, says former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Brian Baloyi.

"It is all about momentum and if any side can get a win in their first game, then anything is possible," Baloyi said on Wednesday.

"That lifts the players, the technical staff and the fans."

Baloyi said there had been surprise packages in most editions of the continental tournament, including 2012 champions Zambia, and he believed the 2013 showpiece would be no different.

"In just about every Africa Cup of Nations tournament of the last 20 years there have been more fancied sides going out in the first round, so anything is possible," he said.

"Not many would have picked Zambia to get out of their group, let alone win the trophy."

Baloyi was set to continue an initiative between the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and Standard Bank, with fellow former Bafana player Neil Tovey, which will take the tournament trophy to Port Elizabeth this weekend on an ongoing tour to the five host cities.

Baloyi hoped the tournament would build on where the 2010 FIFA World Cup left off in showcasing the country as a host nation for major international sports events.

"The eyes of the continent will turn to South Africa in January next year and we want to show them what fantastic hosts we are and what a great footballing country this is.

"That is why we want to create a positive vibe among South African fans and really help them get behind the tournament."

SAPA

Comments
  • Ntutu Dlova - 2012-11-14 22:42

    well ,you have a lot of work to do to get us excited. We don't need to prove ourselves anymore as hosts. what would get us excited is a winning team . unfortunately we have a lousy group of players who don't even respect the green & gold

  • sicelo.brukwe.9 - 2012-11-15 07:45

    And where does our boys fit on this prediction Mr Baloyi, in the (Rubbish bin)

  • mbambo.shi - 2012-11-24 06:08

    Am gonna dissuade atleast 1000 or more AFCON tickets willing buyers not to purchase the tickets for next year's tournament, to boycott E-Toll in Gauteng public highways. Please do your bid. The upliftment of Gauteng highways started prior 2010 World Cup, simple to enhance the mobility of visitors and SA soccer lovers. Hence, I think it's the responsibility of SAFA to reimburse their loan, as the project was planned and started in their interest. This bloody gantries has nothing to do with me and you, actually us, the working class or motorists. Bloody Hyenas. As for Bafoona Bafoona winning the tournament, it wouldn't worth it. Since they were not gonna be playing, should they had to qualify.

  • pages:
  • 1