Milan abandon Tevez talks

2012-01-13 10:08
Carlos Tevez (File)
Milan - AC Milan have called off talks with Manchester City over the signing of the English Premiership club's outcast forward Carlos Tevez, chief executive Adriano Galliani said on Thursday.

Galliani, speaking in Italy after returning from talks in London, said Milan had put the brakes on the deal following the decision of Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato to stay at the Serie A champions.

"The whole operation was connected, in that one would leave and the other would arrive," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

Pato, signed by Milan as an 18-year-old in 2007, had been linked with big-spending Paris St Germain but announced earlier on Thursday that he wanted to stay put.

"I should say that I'm happy, it's a good omen," said Galliani. "I think the player should have the right to choose his life.

He added: "I'm not talking about a "no" from Pato to PSG, it's been his desire to stay at Milan. He was thinking about it for several days and that's fine."

Galliani declined to comment on speculation that Tevez, who has not played for City since September when he refused to come off the substitutes' bench and warm up during a Champions League match at Bayern Munich, could go to PSG or rivals Inter Milan.

"I'm not in favour of one or the other, I know what's happened but I'll keep it to myself," he said.

City have until the end of January, when the mid-season transfer window closes, to find a buyer for the controversial Argentine.

Read more on:    epl


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.