Mauri banned for six months

2013-08-03 16:41
Stefano Mauri (AP Photo)

Rome - Lazio captain Stefano Mauri has been banned for six months by the Italian FA for failing to report match-fixing.

The soccer tribunal also fined Serie A club Lazio 40,000 euros ($53,100) and Lecce, demoted to what is effectively the third tier in Italy for their part in the scandal, 20,000 euros.

Mauri was one of eight players accused of sporting fraud relating to Italian Cup winners Lazio's final two matches of the 2010-11 season, when they beat Genoa 4-2 at home and Lecce by the same score away.

The midfielder was found guilty of failing to report match-fixing relating to the Lecce match, but cleared of any wrongdoing regarding the game against Genoa.

Mauri said he would appeal against the ban.

Lazio and Lecce escaped being docked points, as requested by prosecutor Stefano Palazzi and Genoa were cleared in the decisions handed out on Friday

The prosecutor had asked for Mauri to be banned for four and a half years.

"I am happy that my Lazio will not have to start with a points penalty, but even this sentence for failing to report seems an injustice to me," Mauri said in a statement on his website (

"I'm trusting in the next levels of justice to allow me to leave this ugly episode behind me.

"My aim is to get on the pitch with my team mates as soon as possible."

Centre-back Alessandro Zamperini was given two years on top of an existing five-year suspension from a different case, while goalkeeper Mario Cassano was suspended for five months on top of an existing five-year ban. Lecce's Stefano Ferrario was banned for six months.

Padova's Omar Milanetto, Napoli goalkeeper Antonio Rosati, currently on loan at Sassuolo, and Lecce's Massimiliano Benassi were all cleared.

Dozens of players have been charged in the last two years in investigations into 'Calcioscommesse' or match-fixing, in which players are accused of fixing the outcome of games in return for payments from gamblers.

Italian soccer has also suffered from a series of racist incidents and on Thursday, Sassuolo, due to play in Serie A for the first time this season, were fined 30,000 euros ($39,800) after their fans racially abused AC Milan midfielder Kevin Constant.

Constant was fined 3,000 euros for kicking the ball towards the opposition's fans and walking off the pitch during the July friendly.

Earlier this year Kevin-Prince Boateng of Milan also walked off the pitch in protest at racist chanting by Pro Patria's home fans. ($1 = 0.7528 euros)

Read more on:    soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.