Johannesburg - Premier Soccer League chairperson Irvin Khoza has been appointed as one of nine members of the new World League Association.
The group comprises of the Association of European Professional
Football Leagues, Major League Soccer in America, the Thai Professional
League in Asia, the United Arab Emirates League in the Middle East, as
well as the PSL.
The WLA is set to be the voice for the global leagues, with the
focus set on improving the level of world football and promoting youth
The WLA's main purposes are:
- To promote and develop Professional Football in all its dimensions on and off the pitch;
- To foster cooperation and unity among the World Leagues, while
promoting and safeguarding their common interests and aspirations;
- To be the voice of the leagues in the World on all matters of common interest;
- To foster dialogue, cooperation, friendly relations and unity between the leagues;
- To promote professional football and safeguard the overall interests of the leagues at World level;
- To facilitate the collection and exchange information and best practices between the leagues;
- To foster friendly relations between the Association and other
sports bodies (FIFA, IOC, Confederations, FIFPro, etc.) and
sport-related political institutions;
- To preserve the principles and positive values of football and to protect the integrity of the game at all times;
- To organise exhibitions, conferences, training courses and
other collective events relating to the promotion of professional
football and the commercial development of the Leagues.
The first WLA Congress shall be held in Bangkok, Thailand, on September 2012.