Portugal extend Santos deal to 2020

2016-07-20 09:19
Cristiano Ronaldo and Fernando Santos (Getty Images)

Lisbon - Coach Fernando Santos has extended his contract with Portugal until 2020 after leading them to a shock Euro 2016 title, Portuguese football bosses said on Tuesday.

The 61-year-old, who has been in charge since September 2014 and masterminded a huge reversal in fortunes, guided Portugal to their first major international tournament win despite having to do without Cristiano Ronaldo for most of the final against hosts France earlier this month.

His new deal takes him through the 2018 World Cup in Russia and to the next European Championship.

"The new contract between the FPF and Fernando Santos will be in force until the Euro 2020," the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) said in a brief statement.

Santos built his career with top clubs in Portugal - Benfica, Sporting Lisbon and Porto - and in Greece, as well as coaching the Greek national side.

Read more on:    portugal  |  fernando santos  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.