Players make it clear they’re against the axing

2015-05-27 08:00

SOME of Rsaceal Madrid’s key players have rallied around coach Carlo Ancelotti after the Italian was made the scapegoat for a season without major trophies and sacked on Monday.

Top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo had already signalled his support for Ancelotti on Saturday, the Portugal forward saying he hoped to work with him again next season.

President Florentino Perez decided, however, that “a new impetus” was needed and fired Ancelotti two years into a three-year contract.

The decision, taken just a year after Ancelotti guided Real to their historic 10th European Cup triumph, prompted several important figures in the dressing room to show their appreciation for the coach on Twitter.

“Thanks for everything boss,” Real’s Brazil left back Marcelo wrote. “You are really great.”

Germany midfielder Toni Kroos added: “Thank you boss. It was a pleasure to work with you. I wish you all the best for the future.”

Colombian international James Rodriguez also thanked Ancelotti, saying he had “learned a great deal in a short time” from the 55-year-old.

Perez, who has worked his way through nine coaches in two six-year stints at the helm of the world’s richest club by income, said he did not mind the players advertising their affection for Ancelotti. Going so obviously against the wishes of a majority of the squad may, however, make the job of whoever succeeds Ancelotti that much harder.

While Real’s two captains, Iker Casillas and Sergio Ramos, have yet to comment in public following Ancelotti’s dismissal, the decision of some players to make their feelings known on social media is unusual at a club that obsessively controls the flow of information.

“The players have shown their affection for Ancelotti, the same affection myself and the supporters have for him,” Perez told reporters.

“Not only does that not upset me, but I think it is a natural response to have when someone is leaving Madrid after spending a period of time here,” added the construction magnate. “It is gesture of fondness and affection from the players.”

Ancelotti has said he plans to take a year out and will also have surgery in Vancouver, Canada to correct a neck condition. — SuperSport


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.