International

No presidential award at Ballon d'Or gala

2016-01-07 18:11
undefined
FIFA logo

Zurich - FIFA will not give the presidential award traditionally chosen by Sepp Blatter at the Ballon d'Or gala on Monday due to fallout from its corruption crisis.

FIFA says the award is on hold for one year "due to the transitional phase which FIFA is currently in."

Blatter was banned from football for eight years by the FIFA ethics committee last month. He was replaced in October on an interim basis by senior vice president Issa Hayatou.

Blatter first made the personal award at FIFA's annual awards in 2001.

Previous recipients include Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Queen Rania of Jordan, and Franz Beckenbauer, who is under an ethics investigation.

FIFA says Hayatou will make the formal opening speech at the ceremony.

Read more on:    fifa  |  sepp blatter  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 103rd Tour de France is all systems GO! Follow the pain, struggles and ultimate joy as the world's best riders put their talents to the test over 21 stages.

Latest blogs
Vote

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.