Injured Moses, Success out of Nigeria SWC qualifier

2016-10-05 14:07
Victor Moses (Getty Images)

Abuja - Nigeria have been dealt a major injury blow after Chelsea forward Victor Moses and Watford's Isaac Success were ruled out of Sunday's World Cup qualifier in Zambia.

Officials disclosed both players have withdrawn from the away game in Ndola after their English clubs reported they were injured.

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has replaced the players with two strikers from the domestic league - Godwin Obaje of Wikki Tourists and Chisom Egbuchulam from newly-crowned champions Enugu Rangers, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) announced Monday.

Moses, playing a new role as a wing-back, was man of the match for Chelsea in a 2-0 win at Hull City on Saturday, but he said his hamstrings will have to be assessed by his London club.

Success, 20, was set to honour his first Super Eagles call-up after he scored his first Premier League goal at the weekend at home against Bournemouth. But Watfdord said he had been withdrawn "as a precaution due to a knock".


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.