Former FIFA official pleads guilty

2016-04-11 18:30
Alfredo Hawit (Supplied)

New York - A former vice president of soccer's international governing body has pleaded guilty to four conspiracy counts in the sweeping FIFA bribery scandal over lucrative broadcast rights.

Prosecutors in New York said the Honduran-born Alfredo Hawit accepted bribes totalling hundreds of thousands of dollars linked to the sale of marketing rights to tournaments in Latin America.

Monday's plea is part of a case involving more than 40 people from around the world. Prosecutors have said soccer officials have taken hundreds of millions of dollars in illegal payments over the last 25 years.

Hawit also served as interim president of the North and Central American and Caribbean soccer governing body, CONCACAF, from June until his Dec. 3 arrest.

Hawit was extradited from Switzerland earlier this year.

Read more on:    fifa  |  fifa bribery scandal  |  alfredo hawit  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.