FIFA bans Valcke for 12 years

2016-02-12 17:53
Jerome Valcke (AFP)

Zurich — Former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke was banned from all soccer-related activity for 12 years on Friday by the governing body's ethics committee.

The ethics chamber said Valcke was found guilty of wide-ranging misconduct, including offenses related to the use of private jets for personal use, destroyed evidence and the sale of 2018 and 2022 World Cup television rights.

"Mr. Valcke acted against FIFA's best interests and caused considerable financial damage to FIFA, while his private and personal interests detracted him from his ability to properly perform his duties," the ethics committee said in a statement.

Valcke's ban is four years longer than the eight-year sanctions handed down to FIFA President Sepp Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini in December for a financial conflict of interest.

The ban comes one month after the 55-year-old Frenchman was fired by FIFA. He had been suspended last September. The firing was based on an internal report about his conduct, including use of expenses and private jets.

FIFA commissioned that report before a 2014 World Cup ticket agent alleged that Valcke sought to profit from a black market deal which later fell through. That allegation, made by ticket agent Benny Alon, prompted Valcke's suspension and the ethics case to be opened.

"During the course of the investigations, several other acts of potential misconduct arose," the ethics judges said.

"By travelling at FIFA's expense purely for sightseeing reasons as well as repeatedly choosing private flights for his trips over commercial flights without any business rationale for doing so, Mr. Valcke gained an advantage for himself and relatives," the statement said.

"It was found that Mr. Valcke attempted to grant the TV and media rights for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups to a third party for a fee far below their actual market value and had taken concrete preparatory action in this regard.'

The ethics panel added: "Mr. Valcke deliberately tried to obstruct the ongoing proceedings against him by attempting to delete or deleting several files and folders relevant to the investigation."

Read more on:    fifa  |  jerome valcke  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.