Conte acquitted of sporting fraud charges

2016-05-16 13:51
Gianluigi Buffon and Antonio Conte (TEAMtalk)

Rome - Italy coach Antonio Conte has been cleared of accusations of sporting fraud following a hearing in Cremona on Monday at which which prosecutors had requested a six-month prison sentence, Italian media reports said.

Conte is now free to lead Italy at Euro 2016 before becoming Chelsea coach following the tournament's conclusion on July 10, according to reports on the website of sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport.

Conte had been accused of not reporting an episode of match-fixing relating to a Serie B match with AlbinoLeffe from May 2011 when he was coach of Siena.

Although former players and other figures had been involved in the affair, Conte was the most famous.

The 46-year-old former Juventus coach has always denied any wrong-doing in an affair in which players allegedly colluded with underworld figures to fix matches and recoup the rewards of an illegal betting network.

A lawyer for Conte, Francesco Arata, said last month: "He's a total stranger to the betting world and that's why he will be cleared by the judge."

Read more on:    chelsea  |  antonio conte  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.