Coleman signs new 2-year Wales deal

2016-05-23 16:05
Chris Coleman (Getty Images)

London - Wales manager Chris Coleman has signed a two-year contract extension, the Football Association of Wales announced on Monday.

There had been uncertainty over the future of Coleman, who has guided Wales to next month's European Championships in France.

But he has now signed a new deal that will include the qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup.

"I'm delighted that we've come to an agreement so I have the honour of leading my country in another campaign - a World Cup campaign," said Coleman.

"We need to build on what we have achieved and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

"It is a big challenge, but one I think we can conquer. I'm honoured to be in charge of Wales for two more years."

Coleman succeeded the late Gary Speed, a fellow former Wales international, in January 2012.

By overseeing qualifying for Euro 2016, Coleman guided Wales to their first major tournament finals since the 1958 World Cup.

Read more on:    wales  |  chris coleman  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.