International

Champagne points finger as FIFA TV debate axed

2016-01-13 08:14
FIFA (File)

London - A televised debate between the five hopefuls for the FIFA presidency has been cancelled because three contenders refused to take part, French candidate Jerome Champagne said on Tuesday.

"Very disappointed that ESPN had to cancel the proposed live TV debate between FIFA presidential candidates planned on 29 Jan in London," Champagne wrote on his official Twitter account.

"Myself and Mr. Ali Al-Hussein had accepted while the 3 others refused! No additional comment needed!"

The three other candidates cited by Champagne are UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino, South African tycoon Tokyo Sexwale and Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa.

A spokesman from American broadcaster ESPN confirmed to AFP that the debate had been cancelled.

"We invited all five candidates to take part in a debate and made every effort to explore logistical options with them," he said.

"Ultimately, we did not gain the commitments needed to deliver a program that would meet our standards."

Prince Ali was "disappointed" to learn that the debate had been cancelled, a spokesman from his campaign told AFP.

A spokesman from Infantino's campaign told AFP that the Swiss had been "happy in principle" to take part in the debate.

Champagne, a former FIFA official, former FIFA vice-president Prince Ali and the three other candidates have also been invited to take part in a separate debate at the European Parliament in Brussels on January 27.

Campaign group New FIFA Now, which is organising the Brussels debate, expects Champagne, Sexwale, Infantino and Prince Ali to take part, the latter by video link.

The FIFA presidential election, when a successor to the disgraced Sepp Blatter will be voted in at the head of world football's governing body, will take place in Zurich on February 26.

Blatter was banned for eight years by FIFA's ethics committee last month over a "disloyal payment" of two million Swiss francs ($2 million/1.8 million euro) made in 2011 to UEFA president Michel Platini, who was also banned.

FIFA's ethics committee investigatory chamber announced on Tuesday that it will appeal for the pair's suspensions to be lengthened.

Read more on:    fifa  |  fifa bribery scandal  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

As the Absa Premiership nears the Christmas break, a little over half the season remains. Who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Which teams will be relegated? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.