International

Blatter blasts Infantino over lack of respect

2016-12-09 13:01
Sepp Blatter (AFP)

London - Disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter accused his successor Gianni Infantino of showing a lack of respect for him in an interview with the BBC.

The 80-year-old - who on Monday lost his appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over a six year ban from football for a two million Swiss franc ($2 million) payment to then UEFA boss Michel Platini - said Infantino had dropped by his house once since he was elected in February and Blatter had raised matters he thought should be dealt with.

"I am definitely not a happy man (with) what happened with FIFA," Blatter told the BBC.

"I have never seen in any company that the new president... was not paying respect to the old president.

"After his election we had a very good contact and he stopped at my house and we had a chat. I told him I have a list of questions that should be solved in FIFA which has not been solved before.

"(Infantino) said 'I will work on that' and he never came back."

Blatter said Infantino, who was UEFA secretary-general under Platini, had not returned his phone calls since that meeting.    

"I have asked him, I have sent him a letter and I have his personal number and I was told that it's still correct. Never never an answer - never," said Blatter.

Blatter, who served as FIFA president for 18 years but was subject to withering criticism during his tenure, claims he is too trusting and as a result he and his team never expected the FBI investigation that exposed massive corruption involving senior FIFA members.

"I think people are good, and they are not good," said Blatter.

The Swiss, who served as the faithful secretary-general under his similarly disgraced predecessor as FIFA president the late Joao Havelange, also claims he came perilously close to death late last year.  

An unusually dishevelled and unshaven Blatter had alluded to this when he held a press conference last December but he went further with the BBC.

"It was 1 November 2015. I was at the cemetery in my home village -- where we have a family grave. And I was there… very, very weak, I couldn't move," he said.

"They brought me immediately to a hospital in Zurich and they thought I was going to die in the next hours. Seriously.

"It was a lady doctor there and she (asked) me: 'Who should I phone?' And I said: 'No, no, no, I will go home tonight.' And she said: 'Oh no.'

"They brought another doctor and he said: 'OK calm down, calm down.'

"I had time enough in the hospital to think that life is (more) than only football."

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 PSL season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
Vote

Do you think SAFA made the right choice in appointing Stuart Baxter as head coach of Bafana Bafana?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.