Blatter back at FIFA to appeal 8-year ban

2016-02-16 11:43
Sepp Blatter. (AFP)

Zurich - Sepp Blatter is back at FIFA headquarters for an appeal hearing to challenge his eight-year ban for approving a $2m payment to Michel Platini in 2011.

Blatter arrived early for his scheduled start with the FIFA appeal committee to challenge ethics committee sanctions imposed in December.

Platini had an eight-hour hearing on Monday. He said it focused on a verbal agreement with Blatter to get uncontracted salary for working as a presidential adviser from 1999-2002.

Platini's long-time friend, tournament organizer Jacques Lambert, was at FIFA to give evidence for a second day.

Platini said verdicts could be given Thursday or Friday.

Blatter and Platini previously said they expected their appeals to fail, then would take their cases to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.