International

Barcelona unveil new signing Andre Gomes

2016-07-27 16:31
Barcelona logo (File)

Barcelona, July 27, 2016 (AFP) -Barcelona paraded Portuguese midfielder Andre Gomes at the Camp Nou on Wednesday after his €55 million capture from Valencia on a five-year deal.

The 22-year-old, part of Portugal's European Championship-winning side, has a release clause of €100 million and will cost an initial €35 million euros, with €20 million in add-ons.

Gomes, who agreed the move last week, said he chose the Spanish champions because he felt it gave him the best chance to progress as a player.

"Every club has its own personality. The one that suits me the best is Barcelona," the player said, adding that he had rebuffed other offers to move to other clubs.

Gomes made 77 appearances for Valencia in two seasons after joining from Portuguese side Benfica.

He was also believed to be a target of Barcelona's bitter rivals Real Madrid.

Gomes is Barcelona's fourth summer capture, after they re-signed Denis Suarez from Villarreal and snapped up defenders Samuel Umtiti from Lyon and Lucas Digne from PSG.

Read more on:    barcelona  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

Big month in the world of golf as the FedEx Cup concludes on the PGA Tour, the Race to Dubai gathers steam on the European Tour and the Sunshine Tour offers local golfers the chance to bank some cash. Oh, and not forgetting the USA v Europe Ryder Cup showdown at Hazeltine!

Latest blogs
Vote

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.