Barca bosses win appeal in Neymar case

2016-03-11 08:44
Neymar (AFP)

Cape Town - Barcelona claimed on Thursday that current president Josep Maria Bartomeu and predecessor Sandro Rosell were no longer defendants in the fraud case involving the 2013 purchase of Brazilian star Neymar.

In a statement released on the Spanish champions website, the club said an appeal had been won and that if a fresh case was opened at the Barcelona court, new evidence would have to be presented.

Brazilian investment group DIS owned 40% of Neymar's sporting rights before his move to the Catalan giants from Santos in 2013.

Neymar, his father, Bartomeu and Rosell had all been called to testify by Spain's highest court over a complaint for fraud and corruption brought by DIS.

The deal was originally valued at €57.1m by Barca, €40m of which was paid to the N&N company owned by the player's father, with Santos receiving just 17.1m.

However, Spanish judicial authorities have estimated the number of simultaneous deals in the transfer amounted to at least €83.3m.

"Now the parties must rephrase the accusations," said a club statement on Thursday.

Read more on:    barcelona  |  neymar  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.