Transfer ban for Barcelona

2014-04-02 12:39

Zurich - FIFA on Wednesday banned Spanish giants Barcelona from buying or selling players for the next two transfer windows for "serious" breaches of rules on under-age players.

FIFA's Disciplinary Committee found Barcelona and the Spanish Football Association (RFEF) guilty of making or allowing illegal deals.

As well as the transfer ban, which will effectively last one year, FIFA fined Barcelona 450 000 Swiss francs.

Barcelona were given 90 days to regularise the situation of all 10 minor players concerned.

The ban is a new blow to the image of Europe's most successful club of the 21st Century following alleged tax evasion in its signing of star Brazilian Neymar.

FIFA fined the Spanish federation 500 000 Swiss francs for their role in the under-age player affair and given one year to modify rules concerning international transfers of minors.

"The Disciplinary Committee regarded the infringements as serious and decided to sanction the club with a transfer ban at both national and international level for two complete and consecutive transfer periods," a FIFA statement announced.

The dramatic sanction follows an investigation last year by FIFA.

The world body looked at cases involving players signed by Barcelona between 2009 and 2013.

International rules state that a player has to be at least 18 to be transferred, unless the player falls into one of three specific cases.

FIFA found the club and the Spanish federation guilty of illegal deals involving "the international transfer and first registration of non-Spanish minors with the club".

The dates of the Spanish transfer windows covered by Wednesday's punishment are July 1-August 31 for the pre-season window and January 1-February 1 for the mid-season window.

Barcelona were caught out by FIFA's web-based Transfer Matching System which became mandatory for all international transfers of professional male footballers in October 2010.

FIFA said it took the protection of minors in football "very seriously", and warned that "young football players are vulnerable to exploitation and abuse in a foreign country without the proper controls".

The sanction came less than 24 hours after Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid in the Champions League quarter-final first leg.

Barca's goal was scored by Neymar, whose scandal-mired transfer triggered the downfall of Barca president Sandro Rosell and saw the club indicted for an alleged tax fraud of 13.5 million euros.

Barca have protested their innocence throughout the Neymar inquiry by a Spanish judge.

Read more on:    barcelona  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.