International

SWC stadium hit by third death

2014-03-30 13:55
Sao Paolo stadium (AP Photo)

Sao Paulo - A construction worker at Sao Paulo's troubled World Cup stadium was killed after falling from a stand on Saturday, bringing the number of deaths at the venue to three.

The workman fell eight metres (26 feet) as he helped install temporary seating at the ground and was taken to hospital where his condition had been described as serious.

His employers said in a statement that he was observing all the necessary safety standards at the ground which will host the opening game of the World Cup between hosts Brazil and Croatia on June 12.

In November, two men died when a crane collapsed at the same arena.

The Sao Paulo stadium was one of six venues to miss an initial FIFA delivery deadline of December 31 and is only set to be handed over to organisers in mid-May.

A total of seven workers have now been killed during work on Brazil's World Cup venues.

Saturday's tragedy came just two days after FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke had admitted progress on the Sao Paulo stadium remained a concern with the problems compounded by arguments over who foots the bill for temporary facilities.

But Valcke added: "We will have 12 host cities; we will have 12 stadiums....but there is work to do. Time is flying."

Brazilian Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo insisted the authorities were lending their full support.

"We are helping so that the town hall, the state government and the (private) owners of Corinthians Arena find a solution," Rebelo said.

Earlier this week, Brazil's Development Bank released the first two-thirds of a $160 million loan to complete the stadium project.

But confusion remains over who finances some $20 million 'overlay' or temporary facilities.

Despite the tight timetable, Valcke said on the basis of talks with constructor Odebrecht he was confident of progress.

"I have full trust in Odebrecht to deliver on time for the opening game," said Valcke.

However, initial agreements for the host cities do not make Odebrecht responsible for the cost of the work but rather the owner, Corinthians club.

Valcke said come what may, with 75 days to go until the first match Sao Paulo would definitely stage the curtain-raiser.

"It will happen in Sao Paulo. There is no other choice. It was a decision we made with the LOC and government to keep these 12 cities whatever will be the challenges.

"It will happen in Sao Paulo -- there is no other choice" even if "we will maybe be a bit borderline."

Read more on:    2014 swc  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

United confirm Blind signing

2014-09-01 22:29

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Is Louis van Gaal the right man to restore the glory days at United?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.