International

Real give crotch-grab hand-off

2014-01-08 16:02
Angel di Maria (Getty Images)
  Video

Eusebio remembered

2014-01-08 08:53

Watch some of Portuguese football legend Eusebio's famous highlights.

Madrid - Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti wants Angel Di Maria's controversial crotch-grabbing incident forgotten as quickly as possible so the Argentina winger can focus on playing, the Italian said on Wednesday.

Real have launched an internal inquiry after Di Maria was caught on television briefly grabbing his genitals while being substituted in Monday's La Liga game at home to Celta Vigo. He denied the action was directed at the fans who whistled him off or Ancelotti.

The 25-year-old, replaced by Gareth Bale midway through the second half, insisted it was "a natural gesture" and said he apologised if anyone had found it offensive.

The incident was widely debated in the media and heightened speculation that Di Maria, who has made fewer appearances since the arrival of world record signing Bale, might be sold either in the January transfer window or at the end of the season.

"We have to believe the player," Ancelotti told a news conference previewing Thursday's King's Cup last 16, first leg game at home to Osasuna.

"If anyone thought it was an ugly gesture he has apologised," he added.

"He is focused and I hope he doesn't have any problems (from the fans) in the next match at the Bernabeu.

"He is calm and wants to have a good season. The Di Maria issue needs to be quickly put behind us."

However, Ancelotti revealed that the Argentine, who is known as "the noodle" due to his slight frame, would not be in the starting 11 for Thursday's Cup game and would be replaced by Wales winger Bale.

"Tomorrow he (Di Maria) is not starting because I am going to use a player who is fresher," Ancelotti said.

"We have Bale, who did not play from the start against Celta and he will be there from the beginning tomorrow."

Real's Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso had been left out of the squad as he has not fully recovered from damage sustained to an ear drum last month, Ancelotti said.

"He is training well and things will improve," he said of Alonso, whose control and passing ability have been a key reason for Real's success in recent seasons.

"He is not medically unfit to play but we have to take note of how a player feels in this situation.

"He is not comfortable and he will consult a specialist today to tackle it."

Read more on:    real madrid  |  la liga  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Ajax dismiss Dolly talks

15 minutes ago

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • SS3
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @04:00
  • SS4
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @05:00
  • SS5
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @05:59
  • SS7
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @06:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Will Shakes Mashaba ensure Bafana Bafana qualify for AFCON 2015?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

TV schedule Plan your couch time with our searchable sport TV guide

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.