PSG ready to spend

2015-07-03 22:30
(File, Shutterstock)

Paris -The president of Paris Saint Germain, Nasser al-Khelaifi, says the French champions will now launch into the transfer market after UEFA lifted financial sanctions against the club.

But al-Khelaifi said there was no an "unlimited" budget and new purchases would be carefully chosen.

Paris Saint Germain, owned by a Qatar government company, and English rivals Manchester City were among the first major targets of UEFA president Michel Platini's Financial Fair Play (FPF) rules aiming to punish clubs run at a loss.

Transfer market

Their heavily subsidised spending and Champions League squads were limited under UEFA sanctions, which al-Khelaifi confirmed have been lifted.

"We are very pleased with this constructive and fair decision," the president said in a statement on the club's website.

"This decision will allow the club to resume its development. We are now able to really act on the transfer market that opened on June 9," he added.

"In the past two years, we have achieved excellent financial results in all areas of the club, especially in sponsorship, revenue related to the stadium and merchandising.

"All these measures taken by the club led to a positive financial result in 2014-15 and with no debt.

"We still have room to progress with the Parc des Princes renovation project. We are working on an expansion of our stadium to increase capacity to just more than 60 000 seats. Ultimately, this transformation of the arena will increase our revenues."

Al-Khelaifi insisted though that Parisian giants, who have been linked with a number of big signings, cannot splurge wildly on new players.

Under the deal with UEFA that ended the sanctions, the club will "have to submit financial results including balanced financial results" for 2015-16, the president said.

Quadruple winners

"So we will spend our money on well-targeted players as we have always done to help the club grow. We will not have an unlimited budget," added the Parisian president.

Under the sanctions placed on the Ligue 1 champions last year, the club were not allowed to spend more than 60m on transfers and could only register 21 players for last season's Champions League campaign, in which they lost in the quarter-finals to eventual winners Barcelona.

Now freed from the constraints, last season's domestic quadruple winners will have even loftier ambitions.

"Our goals are clear and you can be certain that Paris now, more than ever, has the will to fight to achieve a place at the summit of European football," assured Al-Khelaifi.

Laurent Blanc guided Paris to the French title, French Cup, Super Cup and League Cup as they swept all before them in France last season.

Read more on:    uefa  |  psg  |  france  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.