International

Neymar blasts 'false friends'

2014-02-03 09:46
Neymar (AFP)

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil starlet Neymar blasted "false friends" as he alluded Sunday to the strain of a tax probe into last year's money-spinning move to Barcelona.

Brazilian and Spanish authorities are investigating last May's transfer from initially reported as costing €57.1m ($78m).

Recent weeks have seen various add-ons emerge to take the deal to a total €86m - including a reported  €40m for N&N, Neymar's family firm run by his father.

Neymar senior last week denied signing a pre-contract with Barcelona until his son had left Santos for the Liga giants - but did admit to receiving €10m in 2011 to guarantee a move by 2014.

In the event, Neymar joined the Catalans in the Spanish close-season but with Brazilian prosecutors seeking to ascertain if potential tax fraud may have taken place, Neymar spoke out.

"I've been quiet until now! But I can't go on listening to all these things about my transfer.

"I called my dad saying I was going to speak out and he said just to leave things with him and concentrate on getting better," Neymar said in an Instagram posting.

"But he will understand me. Sorry to disobey you for a first time - but I'm going to speak out," said the 21-year-old.

Neymar said he had swapped the team of his heart for the team of his dreams in leaving Santos for the Nou Camp.

But he said the storm over his transfer had seen "a lot of people come out and talk a load of rubbish - calling our character into doubt.

"I also understood we have masses of false friends," said the Brazil star, urging his father to join him back in Spain as "I'll be back playing in a few days and I need you here."

Neymar is currently out sidelined with an ankle injury but hopes to return in time for Barca's Champions League last 16, first leg at Manchester City on February 18.

He added he was confident that "it's just a matter of time before they realise you did nothing wrong."

The row over the transfer has already forced the resignation of Sandro Rosell as Barcelona president.

Rosell stepped down last month having refused to divulge how much money each of the parties to the deal received on confidentiality grounds, prompting Barca club member Jordi Cases to bring a legal case against him.

Read more on:    barcelona  |  la liga  |  neymar  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • SS3
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @04:00
  • SS4
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @05:00
  • SS5
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @05:59
  • SS7
    Thu, 31 Jul 2014 @06:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Will Shakes Mashaba ensure Bafana Bafana qualify for AFCON 2015?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

TV schedule Plan your couch time with our searchable sport TV guide

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.