Paris - Former Trinidad and Tobago footballer David Nakhid is to appeal FIFA's decision to reject his candidacy for the presidency of the organisation, saying it was all part of a "dirty tricks campaign."
Nakhid submitted his candidacy as a rank outsider last week saying that he had the requisite backing of five of FIFA's 209 member national associations.
A FIFA source, however, told AFP that his dossier had been rejected as one of the associations had already endorsed another candidate, which was not allowed.
FIFA announced on Wednesday that seven candidates had been officially validated for the election which is scheduled to take place on February 26.
The deadline for candidates to submit their bids fell at midnight on Monday in Zurich where FIFA is based.
"Whatever happened is bad for FIFA. But we have appealed. All these are dirty tricks," Nakhid told AFP.
"The double nomination has been submitted in the last hours before the deadline and we were never informed about it. The double nomination was from the US Virgin Islands.