Keshi to re-take Nigeria reigns

2014-10-30 14:07
Stephen Keshi (Supplied)
Stephen Keshi (Supplied)
Johannesburg - Stephen Keshi could be set for a surprise return as coach of African champions Nigeria after the apparent intervention of the country's President Goodluck Jonathan.

Keshi, who steered the Super Eagles to Africa Cup of Nations glory in 2013 and the knock-out stage of this year's World Cup finals, was sacked on October 16 after a string of poor performances.

But several senior officials at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have revealed that Jonathan had ordered Keshi be reinstated and given a contract.

Should that happen, he would be on the bench for Nigeria's next Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Congo and South Africa in November.

Keshi, who was in talks on Thursday with sports minister Tammy Danagogo, said he was unaware of any presidential intervention.

But he added: "If the president of my country asked me to return, who am I to refuse?"

The 52-year-old coach had earlier refused to comment on speculation that he could be reinstated, with a power struggle for leadership of the NFF rumbling on.

New NFF boss Amaju Pinnick sacked Keshi and his coaching staff soon after his appointment last month, adding that the hunt was on for a foreign coach.

Jonathan is said to have met Pinnick and Chris Giwa, who briefly led the NFF in August, at the presidential villa in the capital, Abuja, on Wednesday night.

"Keshi is back as Nigeria coach and he will be the one to lead the Super Eagles against Congo and South Africa next month," said one senior official.

In a separate NFF statement released on Thursday, caretaker coach Shuaibu Amodu said Keshi should be allowed to take charge for the last two AFCON qualifiers.

He said the executive committee should reconsider as he did not have enough time to prepare for the games.

"The timeframe is too short to start tinkering with the fabric of the team or attempt to build a new team altogether," he wrote in an open letter to NFF bosses.

Nigeria play Congo-Brazzaville in Pointe Noire on November 15 and South Africa in Uyo, southeast Nigeria, four days later.

They need to not only win both matches but beat Congo by a margin of two away goals to stand any chance of automatic qualification for the finals in Morocco next year.

Read more on:    nigeria  |  afcon 2015  |  stephen keshi  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.