Gascoigne targeted by hackers
London- Former England star Paul Gascoigne claims hackers stole up to 50 000 ($81 000, 60 000 euros) from his bank account, according to British media reports on Saturday.
The 46-year-old, was has struggled with alcoholism for years, said the thieves took money from him 23 times in the space of just two days.
Speaking to The Sun newspaper, the former Tottenham Hotspur and Lazio midfielder said he had been "bled dry".
However, he appeared confused about quite how much money had been taken, claiming "it was quite a lot of money", before saying: "It wasn't that much."
He also gave contradictory information about the likely perpetrators of the attacks. Having initially claimed "I know who did it," he went on to say: "I've not got a clue."
In a documentary broadcast on ITV earlier this week, Gascoigne admitted he could start drinking again even though he knows it might kill him.
"I hope I don't die through it. Because I won't get any sympathy," he said.
"Because, well, 'He was warned.' At least I know if I did pass away through it, I wouldn't be in this pain all the time."