Garcia rejection 'predictable'

2014-12-17 08:53
FIFA investigator Michael Garcia (AFP)
FIFA investigator Michael Garcia (AFP)

Melbourne - FIFA's rejection of Michael Garcia's appeal over misrepresentations in the statement on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding probe was "predictable" for a governing body littered with self interest, according to the Australian whistleblower referred to in the statement.

FIFA on Tuesday turned down its chief investigator's appeal against Judge Eckert's statement which cleared Russia and Qatar of wrongdoing in their winning bids to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups respectively.

Garcia had said Eckert's statement contained "numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions" detailed in his own report into the bidding process after an 18-month investigation.

FIFA also said there were no grounds for opening disciplinary proceedings against Eckert following complaints from whistleblowers that their evidence had been revealed.

Bonita Mersiades, who worked on the Australian bid team for the 2022 World Cup, said she was one of the unnamed whistleblowers referred to in the statement whose reliability was questioned and evidence dismissed out of hand.

"FIFA is nothing if not predictable, and has today surpassed itself in obfuscation and deflection," she said in a statement on her website ( late on Tuesday.

"FIFA's position underscores why we need a new FIFA.

"These issues are no longer just about winning bids from Russia and Qatar and losing bids, including Australia.

"It is about FIFA and the bid process that lent itself to abuse. In FIFA's world, there is no room for ordinary fans."

FIFA used legalese in justifying its rejection of Garcia's appeal, saying Eckert's statement did not constitute a decision and was therefore neither legally binding nor appealable.

The other whistleblower referred to in the report, who was also discredited, was American Phaedra Al-Majid, who worked on the Qatar bid team.

FIFA said the whistleblowers' breach of confidentiality claim had "no substance" because they had "gone public" with their own media activities before the statement came out.

FIFA and Qatar World Cup organisers have been fending off allegations of corruption ever since the Gulf state was awarded the 2022 tournament.

Qatar has repeatedly denied the allegations and said it ran a clean bid.

Read more on:    fifa  |  swc 2022  |  swc 2018  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.