FIFA takes concussion precautions

2014-09-23 12:20
Christoph Kramer (AFP)

Zurich - The FIFA medical committee wants to improve football's concussion protocol by stopping matches for three minutes while team doctors assess players with head injuries.

FIFA says the executive committee will consider the proposal giving referees new powers to halt play at its two-day meeting starting Thursday.

UEFA adopted the three-minute break protocol last week and will apply it in Champions League matches from next week.

FIFA says incidents at the 2014 Soccer World Cup showed "the role of team doctors needs to be reinforced in order to ensure the correct management of potential cases of concussion."

In the final, Germany midfielder Christoph Kramer played on for 14 minutes before being substituted when clearly disorientated.

The medical panel also advised postponing non-urgent FIFA courses in African countries affected by the Ebola outbreak.

Read more on:    fifa  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.