FIFA prosecutor ready to act over SWC bids

2015-06-17 20:17
(File, Shutterstock)

Zurich - FIFA ethics prosecutor Cornel Borbely says he is prepared to open more cases against officials as part of the investigations into the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Borbely says "should new evidence come to light" his team "will widen the group of suspects."

He says his department "has taken the necessary preparatory measures for this and is prepared to increase its staff numbers at any time if needed."

Swiss attorney general Michael Lauber earlier on Wednesday detailed evidence from banks in Switzerland of possible money laundering during the bidding contests won by Russia and Qatar.

Lauber did not exclude that the "huge and complex" case could affect World Cup hosting decisions.

Borbely acknowledged he is already "carrying out several proceedings" against unidentified officials suspected of unethical behavior in the 2018-2022 contests.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.