Port of Spain - Former FIFA vice president
Jack Warner will learn on Friday whether a court will proceed with hearings
that could see him eventually extradited to the United States to face charges
over a corruption scandal sweeping football's world governing body.
Warner, 72, who is fighting extradition
from his native Trinidad, was indicted in May by a US grand jury on 12 charges
of wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering.
US authorities have charged 14 FIFA
officials and sports marketing executives of soliciting and receiving more than
$150 million in bribes and kickbacks over two decades.
On July 23, US authorities asked for
Warner, a former head of football's governing body in North America, Central
America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF), to be extradited to face the charges.
So far only three of those charged are in
the jurisdiction of New York.
Trinidad Attorney General Faris Al Rawi on
Monday said the extradition case could proceed, and on Friday a magistrate will
decide whether or not to discharge the request by the US.
Warner's defence is challenging Monday's
decision, noting that Al Rawi's authorization was signed five days after a
deadline set by the court.
Warner and nine other defendants are still
fighting extradition to the United States - six from Switzerland, where they
were arrested in a May swoop on a Zurich hotel - two from Argentina and one
Warner says that the US case against him is
politically motivated and that America is trying to exact revenge because it
lost out to Qatar in the vote to host the 2022 World Cup.