Collapsed SWC roof cleared
Sao Paulo - Constructors say they have removed the giant roofing structure that destroyed part of the World Cup stadium in Sao Paulo after a crane collapsed last year.
Constructor Odebrecht says it cleared the 500-ton metal structure on Thursday, about two months after it crumbled along with the crane, killing two workers and causing significant damage to the stadium which will host the World Cup opener on June 12.
Odebrecht said in a statement that, with the metal structure out of the way, it can begin repair work in the damaged area.
The Itaquerao is one of the five stadiums yet to be completed for the World Cup. It is expected to be finalised in mid-April, nearly two months before Brazil host Croatia to open football's showcase event.