London - FIFA presidential candidate Chung
Mong-Joon said on Wednesday he plans to start legal action against world football
leader Sepp Blatter who he slammed as "a hypocrite and a liar."
Chung, who says he faces suspension by
FIFA's independent ethics committee, condemned Blatter for refusing to divulge
his salary and "secretive" management.
"That is why I plan to sue Blatter for
embezzlement," Chung told the Sport Leaders convention in London.
He said Blatter had "repeatedly
meddled" in the elections of major football confederations that make up
"In short Blatter is a hypocrite and a
The South Korean billionaire said that when
he was a FIFA vice president he "took pride" in wearing the blazer of
football's world body.
"Now I will be laughed at or be
attacked. FIFA has become a badge of shame. I will make it a badge of
pride" if elected, he said.
Chung, who announced Tuesday that he faces
a 19 year ban from football activities, is one of three leading candidates to
be FIFA president in an election in February.
UEFA president Michel Platini and Prince
Ali bin al Hussein are also standing.
French football legend Platini, however,
has also been dragged into the storm engulfing FIFA over a $2million payment he
received from the organisation in 2011 for consulting work done between 1998
Chung said on Tuesday that FIFA's
independent ethics committee had asked for him to be handed a 15 year
suspension from all football activities for alleged vote-trading and other
actions during bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup.
South Korea was one of the candidates for
the 2022 World Cup which went to Qatar.
Chung added that he faced an additional
four year ban for allegedly defaming the ethics committee.
FIFA and its ethics commission have so far
declined to comment on the South Korean's claims.
Blatter, meanwhile, has made it clear he
will not resign as FIFA president and is determined to fight right up until the
next election on February 26.
"I will only stop (working) on
February 26 and not a day before," Blatter told German magazine Bunte,
which is due out on Thursday.
"I will fight until February 26. For
me. And for FIFA. I am convinced that evil will come into the light and good
Having been re-elected as FIFA president in
May, Blatter announced in June that he was calling a fresh election for
February 2016 because he did not feel he had "a mandate from the entire
world of football."
His sudden about-turn followed a police
swoop in May on FIFA officials in a Zurich hotel ahead of the organisation's
annual general meeting.
The US Justice Department subsequently
indicted 14 people, including nine FIFA officials over bribery in football and
deals worth more than $150 million dating back to 1991.
Blatter denies any wrongdoing, but Swiss
prosecutors say he is the target of a probe into "criminal
mismanagement" at FIFA.