CAF meet over Ebola-clouded AFCON

2014-11-01 21:16
AFCON 2015

Johannesburg - When and where the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations will be staged should be resolved within days amid pleas from hosts Morocco to postpone the tournament over the Ebola epidemic.

The virus has claimed almost 5 000 lives this year, almost all in west African countries Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Morocco fears a potential influx of several hundred thousand supporters from the other 15 finalists could spread the epidemic.

African football body CAF will hold a meeting of their executive in Algeria on Sunday and 24 hours later president Issa Hayatou will lead a delegation to Morocco for further talks.

CAF are then expected to issue a statement clarifying the situation after weeks of wild media speculation.

A senior African football official, who requested anonymity, told AFP there were three likely scenarios:

- Morocco back down and agree to original January 17-February 8 hosting dates.

- CAF agrees to postpone tournament to mid-2015 or early 2016.

- Talks collapse, Morocco withdraws, and CAF seeks new hosts.

Unconfirmed reports of midweek meetings involving Hayatou and Moroccan officials led Moroccan daily As-Sabah to claim a deal had been struck to delay the Africa Cup.

This report was swiftly denied by a CAF spokesperson as "completely untrue".

Of the countries approached as possible emergency hosts, Nigeria and Ghana are reportedly undecided while Algeria, Egypt, South Africa and Sudan declined.

The Cup of Nations is crucial to CAF as each tournament generates $11.7m from TV and marketing rights.

It is the biggest cash injection into the Cairo-based confederation with the CAF Champions League and CAF Confederation Cup club competitions earning a combined $10.2m yearly.

Only hosts Sudan, Egypt and Ethiopia competed in the first tournament 57 years ago, but under Hayatou the Africa Cup has grown from eight to 16 teams and stamped its mark on the international calendar.

World-class, high-definition TV coverage is broadcast worldwide, showcasing the skills of Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfield dynamo Yaya Toure plus many other Europe-based stars.

But Moroccan sports minister Mohammed Ouzzine insists health must come before finances or football.

"Our demand for a postponement is motivated by the latest WHO report, which contains alarming numbers regarding the extent and spread of the virus," he stressed.

"Morocco are facing a historical responsibility as there has never been such a deadly Ebola epidemic."

Quizzed regarding Morocco being happy to stage the FIFA Club World Cup this December but not the Cup of Nations, the minister said the difference was the numbers of visiting supporters.

Ouzzine said far more were expected for the Cup of Nations, "possibly 300,000 or even more.

"We are not equipped for that and I cannot see other countries being able to ensure checks and controls for such a large number."

Concern has also been expressed by European managers with African footballers in their squads, including Roberto di Matteo of German outfit Schalke.

"It is worrying. I know it is dangerous," said the Bundesliga boss of crack Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

CAF seem worried about setting a precedent, saying that "since the first edition of the Africa Cup in 1957, the tournament has never been delayed or cancelled".

The continental body would also have welcomed support from FIFA this week with the global football federation praising how CAF have handled the Ebola crisis.

Measures taken include ordering Guinea and Sierra Leone to stage group qualifiers abroad. Liberia were eliminated at the preliminary stage.

Read more on:    caf  |  afcon 2015  |  soccer

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.