International

Brazil sees SWC risks: report

2014-03-20 10:52
SWC 2014 (File)

Rio de Janeiro - A secret Brazilian government report lists several security "risks" in having the country host of the Soccer World Cup this year, including political protest and strikes, O Globo daily said on Wednesday.

The office of President Dilma Rousseff said the undated report was "preliminary," not conclusive and merely the result of "informal consultation" with local people in cities due to host the June-July event.

The document indicated security concerns in six of the 12 host cities, including July 13 final venue Rio de Janeiro, where it identified "a difficult relationship between public authorities and society."

Rio authorities are battling to bolster security in the city by increasing police presence in tourist areas while also ramping up a six-year-old policy of "pacifying" the city's sprawling slums.

The report also highlighted as a "potential problem" a 60-million-reais ($25 million) cut in the military police budget for business hub Sao Paulo, due to host the Cup's opening match.

O Globo said another concern was Porto Alegre, the scene of a strike by lorry drivers that authorities fear could spread beyond the southern city.

In the southeastern city of Belo Horizonte, authorities fear that a strike by civil servants may "fuel protests" of the kind that hit the city and several other major venues during June's Confederations Cup.

Angry Brazilians have taken to the street to protest the $11 billion World Cup price tag, poor public services and government corruption.

Although they have been on a smaller scale than last year, when more than a million people took to the streets, some of the demonstrations have ended in violence.

Another concern, according to the report, is the capital Brasilia, where "opposition parties are attempting to wreck the image" of Governor Agnelo Queiroz of the ruling Workers' Party.

The report also expressed concerns over the security of teams and foreign visitors during the month-long Cup, while the government further fears unrest between indigenous groups and agricultural workers in the northeast.

But an official in the presidential office said: "The information published in the newspaper is not official and has not been verified."

Read more on:    soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

EPL: Transfer watch

2014-07-29 00:00

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • SS3
    Fri, 01 Aug 2014 @
    04:00
  • SS4
    Fri, 01 Aug 2014 @
    05:00
  • SS5
    Fri, 01 Aug 2014 @
    05:59
  • SS7
    Fri, 01 Aug 2014 @
    06:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Will Shakes Mashaba ensure Bafana Bafana qualify for AFCON 2015?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

TV schedule Plan your couch time with our searchable sport TV guide

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.