Hayatou denies bribery claims

2011-05-12 09:58
Issa Hayatou (AFP)

Cairo - Confederation of African Football president Issa Hayatou has denied allegations he was paid to vote for Qatar's successful 2022 Soccer World Cup bid, adding he was reserving his right to seek legal redress.

The denial came two days after a British parliamentary inquiry into why England had failed to secure the 2018 finals was told that Hayatou, the long-time leader of African football, and fellow FIFA executive committee member Jacques Anouma of the Ivory Coast were paid by Qatar.

Hayatou, in a statement released by CAF in Cairo, said he "categorically denied allegations of corruption brought against him".

Hayatou was also accused of bribery last year in a Sunday newspaper sting and faces the possibility of an investigation by the International Olympic Committee, of which he is also a member.

"(The) CAF president is ready to co-operate with who ever would like to investigate the accusations and reserves the right to seek legal redress against those propagating this campaign of denigration.

"This kind of reporting to create and propagate false information to destroy his reputation, leadership and integrity, will not succeed," the statement added.

Hayatou's denial follows Qatar on Wednesday also refuting claims Hayatou and Anouma had been paid for their votes.

But CAF, in their statement, did furnish details of a sponsorship Qatar paid for the right to address CAF members at its annual congress in Luanda last year.

"In an attempt to drum up support for their bid, the Qatar bid committee offered CAF $1.8 million, sponsoring fee for (the) CAF General Assembly. In return, Qatar 2022 Bid Committee was given the exclusive rights to address the general assembly and make presentations to members."

CAF said the sponsorship had been approved by its executive committee and an agreement signed with the Qatari bid committee.

It is the first recorded incident of a bidding country paying for the right to address a congress of one of FIFA's six member confederations.

There has been no comment yet from Anouma, who recently won another four-year term on the FIFA executive committee.

However, the website of the Ivorian Football Federation, which regularly posts statements from Anouma, published Qatar's denials.

Read more on:    fifa  |  caf  |  issa hayatou


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.