FIFA vice president resigns
Paris - FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has resigned from all his positions in international football, the world governing body confirmed on Monday.
Warner, the influential head of the Caribbean, North and Central American federation (CONCACAF), was suspended last month over claims he conspired with Asian football chief Mohamed bin Hammam to buy votes in an attempt to topple FIFA supremo Sepp Blatter in the presidential election earlier this month.
"As a consequence of Mr Warner's resignation, all ethics committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained," said a FIFA statement.
The 68-year-old Jamaican and bin Hammam were alleged to have offered $40,000 cash gifts to the heads of CONCACAF's national associations at a Trinidad conference in return for their votes in the presidential election.
"Jack A. Warner has informed FIFA about his resignation from his posts in international football," the FIFA statement said.
"FIFA regrets the turn of events that have led to Mr Warner's decision.
"His resignation has been accepted by world football's governing body, and his contribution to international football and to Caribbean football in particular and the CONCACAF confederation are appreciated and acknowledged."
Bin Hammam and Warner were targeted after Chuck Blazer, general secretary of CONCACAF, reported possible misdeeds during the May 10 and 11 conference in Trinidad.
The FIFA statement added: "Mr Warner is leaving FIFA by his own volition after nearly 30 years of service, having chosen to focus on his important work on behalf of the people and government of Trinidad and Tobago as a Cabinet Minister and as the Chairman of the United National Congress, the major party in his country's coalition government."