FA mounts war on FIFA
Cape Town - England's football bosses are organising a worldwide mutiny against FIFA over the Soccer World Cup bid fiasco, reports The Sun.
The FA's Alex Horne is rallying other nations furious at the double-dealing that handed the 2018 contest to Russia - even though FIFA delegates assured England ambassadors David Beckham, Prince William and PM David Cameron that they backed our bid.
An FA source said: "Alex Horne is as unhappy as everyone else and is rallying support for reform from across the globe.
"He'll start by calling other failed bidders like America, Australia, Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Holland then branch out.
"We want to get so much support for change that FIFA have to listen."
England wasted £15m on advertising, video spectaculars - and sending celebrity ambassadors abroad to beg for votes.
FA general secretary Horne will call for a spending limit on bids in future and earlier elimination rounds to stop a repeat of last week's unseemly last-minute grovelling for votes in Zurich.
He said on Sunday: "I think the process could have sensible reform. For nine bidders to go all the way to Zurich may not be strictly necessary.
"It is difficult in the aftermath of last week to trust some individuals."
At least seven FIFA delegates are said to have pledged support for England. But we got just two of the possible 22 votes - and neither was from one of the seven.
England 2018 chief executive Andy Anson accused FIFA fatcats of revelling in a job that sees them wooed by world leaders and royalty.
He said: "They are incredibly protective of this cushy nice life."