English Premiership

Premier League to decide on new TV money plan

2017-10-04 07:53
Liverpool (Supplied)

Cape Town - Premier League clubs are set to discuss a proposal that would change the way money from overseas broadcasting deals is distributed.

Executive chairman of the Premier League Richard Scudamore has been under pressure from several top clubs who want to change the existing system that sees the money distributed equally.

Currently 100% of the money is divided equally between the 20 clubs, meaning each club received roughly £39 million last season.

The new proposal from Scudamore would see 35% of the international TV revenue allocated according to a club’s final position in the table, with the remaining 65 percent distributed equally between all clubs.

The ‘big six’ - Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool - are thought to be behind the push to change the current system.

Clubs believe those with the biggest revenues should receive a greater margin of the international money, in line with their global popularity.

Two-thirds of the Premier League clubs must agree for any changes to be approved.

The remaining fourteen clubs held talks last week, a meeting that Scudamore attended.

Nine clubs are said to be in favour of the new distribution plan.

A meeting is scheduled for Wednesday where the proposal will be decided by a vote.

Read more on:    english premiership  |  soccer
NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights

Fixtures
Friday, 24 November 2017
West Ham United v Leicester City, London Stadium 22:00
Saturday, 25 November 2017
Swansea City v AFC Bournemouth, Liberty Stadium 17:00
Manchester United v Brighton & Hove Albion, Old Trafford 17:00
Crystal Palace v Stoke City, Selhurst Park 17:00
Newcastle United v Watford, St. James' Park 17:00
Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion, Wembley Stadium 17:00
Liverpool v Chelsea, Anfield 19:30
Sunday, 26 November 2017
Southampton v Everton, St. Mary's Stadium 15:30
Burnley v Arsenal, Turf Moor 16:00
Huddersfield Town v Manchester City, The John Smith's Stadium 18:00
Logs
Team P W PTS
Previous Results

Date Home Team Result Away Team
Vote

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2017/18 season?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured

The 2017/18 PSL season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.