Cape Town - Everton
boss Ronald Koeman expects Ross Barkley to leave the club after
rejecting their final offer to extend his stay at Goodison Park.
The 23-year-old play-maker struggled for consistency under Koeman last
season, but is highly rated by the Toffees having graduated from their
academy in 2010.
Barkley was linked with a move away from Merseyside after being left
out of the pre-season tours to Africa and the Netherlands, although it
later emerged he had undergone surgery on a groin injury.
The Premier League outfit had hoped to secure the England
international's long-term future, but he has no interest in committing
beyond his current contract, which expires in June 2018.
"His personal situation is not so difficult," Koeman said at a press conference on Wednesday.
"We made a really good offer to him to sign a new contract, he
declined that contract and told me that he is looking for a new
"Okay, he is not in Everton's future any more. It is his decision. I need to respect that and see what happens."
When asked if Barkley was definitely leaving, the Dutchman replied: "Yes."
However, Koeman was quick to point out that the Toffees have yet to
receive any bids for their youth product, who has made 179 appearances
in all competitions for his hometown team.
"What I heard from the board at the moment is that there is no offer on the table for Ross," he added.
Meanwhile Koeman believes compatriot Davy Klaassen has what it takes
to adjust to the Premier League's tempo and intensity.
24-year-old midfielder signed for the Toffees from Dutch giants Ajax
earlier in the transfer window, and Koeman believes the experience he
gained at his former employers will stand him in good stead.