English Premiership

Conte tells Barca to forget Hazard move

2017-08-04 23:04
Eden Hazard (Getty)

London - Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has told Barcelona there is no chance he will allow Eden Hazard to join the Spanish club as a replacement for Neymar.

Neymar completed his world record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain on Thursday, when the Brazil striker signed a five-year deal with the French club after paying €222 million to release himself from his contract at Barcelona.

Neymar's exit leaves a vacancy in the Barca attack that reports have suggested they would like to fill with Chelsea forward Hazard.

Asked on Friday how he would respond to a big-money offer for Hazard, Conte told reporters: "We are trying to buy the players, not to sell them. Otherwise the number is always less and we are in trouble.

"These are rumours. Eden is very happy to stay with us and to start the new season."

Hazard is currently sidelined while he recovers from ankle surgery and the Belgian, who was injured on international duty at the end of last season, will miss the start of Chelsea's Premier League title defence.

Hazard's absence and Diego Costa's exile after his fall out with Conte leaves the Italian short of attacking options ahead of Sunday's Community Shield clash with Arsenal.

Quizzed on whether he had expressed an interest in Neymar before PSG swooped, Conte said: "No, not true.

"It's an impressive amount of money, 200 million. If PSG is able to do this why not?

"For a normal player now you must be ready to spend 40 million, 50 million. If you want to buy a top player, you must be ready to spend this money."

While Conte was never in the hunt for Neymar, he has been keen to add several new signings ahead of a twin assault on the Premier League and Champions League.

Having won the English title while absent from European football last season, Conte knows the demands on his squad will be much greater this term.

So far, he has landed former Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata, midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko from Monaco and defender Antonio Rudiger from Roma.

But Conte has also sold Nemanja Matic to Manchester United, while Bakayoko will miss the start of the season with a knee injury.

Expressing signs of frustration when asked about the club's transfer activity, Conte made it clear he wants more new faces.

"Now for us it is very important to try to improve our squad from the numerical aspect," he said.

"I think only one player is not enough to improve our team. We have a small squad.

"We need more players, not of the top level like Neymar, but to improve our squad and our quality. Now we have few players."

Given the significant improvements made by Manchester City and Manchester United, plus club record signings by Arsenal and Liverpool, Conte's concern is that Chelsea are standing still at a time when their rivals are progressing.

After Chelsea and Leicester City sacked Jose Mourinho and Claudio Ranieri less than a year after winning the title, the Chelsea boss is determined to avoid a second-season flop, starting against the Gunners on Sunday.

"It's normal to be a bit afraid to repeat the bad season from two years ago," he said.

"For sure we have to work very hard, harder than last season, to continue to improve every player.

"We know Arsenal is a strong team. We want to try to start the season with a win. It's the first trophy of the season."

NEXT ON SPORT24X

What To Read Next

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Fixtures
Saturday, 26 August 2017
AFC Bournemouth v Manchester City, Vitality Stadium 13:30
Crystal Palace v Swansea City, Selhurst Park 16:00
Newcastle United v West Ham United, St. James' Park 16:00
Huddersfield Town v Southampton, The John Smith's Stadium 16:00
Watford v Brighton & Hove Albion, Vicarage Road Stadium 16:00
Manchester United v Leicester City, Old Trafford 18:30
Sunday, 27 August 2017
Chelsea v Everton, Stamford Bridge 14:30
West Bromwich Albion v Stoke City, The Hawthorns 14:30
Liverpool v Arsenal, Anfield 17:00
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley, Wembley Stadium 17:00
Saturday, 09 September 2017
Manchester City v Liverpool, Etihad Stadium 13:30
Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth, Emirates Stadium 16:00
Everton v Tottenham Hotspur, Goodison Park 16:00
Leicester City v Chelsea, King Power Stadium 16:00
Southampton v Watford, St. Mary's Stadium 16:00
Brighton & Hove Albion v West Bromwich Albion, The American Express Community Stadium 16:00
Stoke City v Manchester United, Bet365 Stadium 18:30
Logs
Team P W PTS
Previous Results

Date Home Team Result Away Team
Vote

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 2017/18 PSL season is under way. Can Bidvest Wits defend their title? Will Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates emerge victorious? Or will the bookies' favourites, Mamelodi Sundowns, taste success for a record eighth time? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.