Liverpool - Spain striker Fernando Torres announced on Tuesday he will stay at Liverpool following talks with club manager Roy Hodgson.
Torres and midfielder Steven Gerrard were thought to be considering moves away from Anfield amid uncertainty over the club's financial situation and its failure to qualify for this season's Champions League, but Torres has now followed his captain in committing himself to the club.
The striker has three years left on his contract but was rumored to be a big-money target for Manchester City and Chelsea.
"This is the best club in the country so the targets and expectations are always high," Torres said. "It was difficult last season but we are sure we can improve this season. I am really happy to be back, really happy to stay with all my teammates.
"My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed."
Torres has scored 56 goals in 79 matches in three seasons at Liverpool, including 40 in 41 at Anfield, to become a firm favorite with fans.
British papers reported that Chelsea and City were both prepared to pay far in excess of the 20.3 million pounds (then $40.6 million) Liverpool paid Atletico Madrid for him in June 2007.
Torres said Hodgson, who replaced Rafa Benitez last month after guiding unfashionable Fulham to the Europa League final, had convinced him to stay by visiting him soon after he appeared in Spain's 1-0 World Cup final win over the Netherlands on July 11.
"I really appreciated the fact that Roy came out to see me while I was on my holidays," Torres said. "He told me about his plans for the club and what he wanted from me and I appreciated that. I hope he will be the right man to reach the targets of Liverpool Football Club and I am really looking forward to working with him."