London - Chelsea striker Fernando Torres will not face retrospective disciplinary action for scratching the face of Tottenham Hotspur's Jan Vertonghen, England's governing Football Association said Tuesday.
Spain forward Torres was seen by television cameras to have clawed at the face of Spurs' Belgian defender and that led the FA to review the incident, which took place during a 1-1 Premier League draw involving the London clubs at White Hart Lane on Saturday.
However, as one of the match officials saw the incident, the FA said it would not be taking additional action.
"The FA will take no action against Chelsea's Fernando Torres in relation to an incident involving Tottenham Hotspur's Jan Vertonghen which occurred in the 50th minute of their match on Saturday 28 September 2013," an FA statement said.
"One of the match officials saw the coming together of the two players, albeit not in its entirety."
Torres was subsequently sent off after receiving two yellow cards, meaning he will serve just a one-match ban.
This season has seen the FA introduce a new system where three former referees will look at incidents retrospectively and decide if charges should be brought.
Previously, action was only taken if the match referee viewed the footage and judged whether he should have in fact sent a player off.
However, in both cases if any match official saw some of the incident, even if not in its absolute entirety, then the FA cannot take further action.
The FA statement added: "In these particular circumstances, in line with the FA's policy on when retrospective action may be taken, reviewed this summer by the game's stakeholders (the Premier League, the Football League, the Professional Footballers' Association, the League Managers' Association, Professional Game Match Officials Limited and the National Game), no action may be taken."