Suarez in new diving storm
Luis Suarez (Getty Images)
Liverpool - Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was involved in a fresh diving storm after Stoke manager Tony Pulis slammed his antics in Sunday's 0-0 draw at Anfield.
Pulis was furious that Uruguay international Suarez appeared to dive when he was challenged by Stoke defender Marc Wilson in an unsuccessful attempt to win a second-half penalty.
Suarez has been accused of diving on several previous occasions, while Pulis has called on the Football Association to ban players guilty of simulation in the past, so the incident inevitably drew a stinging response from the Stoke coach, who called for the Reds star to be hit with a three-match ban.
"You have got Suarez falling over in the box second half, which was really, really disappointing," Pulis said.
"I think that should be highlighted, as I have said before. I've been on about and banging the drum about people who fall over and in one incident in the second half, it's an embarrassment.
"The FA should be looking at this. Give him three games (of suspension) and he will stop falling over."
Pulis contrasted Suarez's dive with Glen Johnson's reaction to a strong Stoke challenge earlier in the game.
"There was a challenge in the first half in front of us; Jon Walters and Glen Johnson both went up for a header, it was a proper old-fashioned challenge," Pulis added.
"Glen Johnson did absolutely fantastic, just bounced back up and got on with the game. It was a proper, proper challenge.
"I went over to him and said 'Well done, brilliant' - not only did he play exceptionally well, but his behaviour was fabulous."
However, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insisted Suarez was suffering for an unfair reputation given to him by rival managers and the media.
"I haven't seen the incident so I can't really comment on it but whatever Luis does, there will always be a problem, whether it's media, referees or whatever," Rodgers said.
"It gets brought up every week, it's something that is not new. I thought he was terrific today."