Barclays Premier League

Ferdinand receives hate mail

2012-09-28 17:06
Anton Ferdinand (AFP Photo)

London - Anton Ferdinand has revealed that he was subjected to a hate campaign in connection with a racist abuse case that saw a Football Association disciplinary panel ban Chelsea captain John Terry for four games.

In his first comments after Terry was found guilty, the Queen's Park Rangers defender said on Twitter that he had received abuse on the micro-blogging site since Thursday's ruling.

His family have also reportedly been targeted by hate mail since the controversial incident in October last year, which led to Terry being charged and later acquitted in a criminal case of a racially aggravated public order offence.

"On a serious note people need 2 read the facts before they send stupid tweets 2 me with liar and grass in it," Ferdinand wrote.

Terry was cleared of criminal charges in July, although he admitted in court that he had used a racist slur against Ferdinand but said he was merely repeating what he believed Ferdinand had accused him of saying.

Despite the court verdict, the FA still found him guilty of a similar charge with their disciplinary process using a "balance of probabilities" burden of proof rather than the English criminal standard of "beyond reasonable doubt".

Last year, the separate FA panel that found Liverpool's Luis Suarez guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra said simply using racist language was enough to fall foul of the governing body's rules, regardless of intent or context.

Terry, who has consistently denied all charges against him, is considering whether to appeal the FA panel's decision.

The former England captain retired from international football on Sunday, on the eve of the FA hearing, saying officials had made his position with the national side "untenable".

He is though continuing his club career and the centre-half is available for Chelsea's Premier League match against Arsenal on Saturday, as he has 14 days from receiving written reasons for the panel's decision to decide if he wants to appeal.

He currently remains free to play for Chelsea and will continue to be so until any appeal process is completed.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Tue, 29 Jul 2014 @00:00
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Fixtures
08 August 2015
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur, Old Trafford 13:45
Norwich City v Crystal Palace, Carrow Road 16:00
Everton v Watford, Goodison Park 16:00
Leicester City v Sunderland, King Power Stadium 16:00
Bournemouth v Aston Villa, Vitality Stadium 16:00
Chelsea v Swansea City, Stamford Bridge 18:30
09 August 2015
Arsenal v West Ham United, Emirates Stadium 14:30
Newcastle United v Southampton, St. James' Park 14:30
Stoke City v Liverpool, Britannia Stadium 17:00
10 August 2015
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City, The Hawthorns 21:00
Logs
Team P W PTS
Vote

With the season all but done, are you happy with your side's performance?

 
 
/Sport
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured

Got something you'd like to get off your chest? Got a burning desire to air an opinion? If so, be sure to sign-up on Sport24's FORUM!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.