English Premiership

FA avoid Terry-Ferdinand shake

2012-04-27 16:04
Anton Ferdinand (Gallo Images)

London - Premier League chiefs have tried to avoid a potential flashpoint by abandoning the pre-match handshake at Sunday's match between Chelsea and QPR because of the racism allegations involving John Terry and Anton Ferdinand.

Chelsea skipper Terry is facing a July 9 court case over allegations he racially abused Ferdinand during QPR's victory over Chelsea in October.

Terry, who lost the England captaincy over the issue, has strongly denied wrongdoing.

The Football Association cancelled handshakes when QPR faced Chelsea in the FA Cup in January, but the Premier League had previously been adamant the ritual would go ahead in Sunday's game at Stamford Bridge.

But after a day of conflicting reports about whether the gesture would be observed this weekend, and the potential legal ramifications if Ferdinand and Terry did or did not shake hands, the Premier League decided to suspend the convention for this match only.

"The Premier League position on the pre-match handshake convention remains consistent," a statement issued by the Premier League on Thursday said.

"In all normal circumstances it must be observed.

"However, after discussions with both Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers about the potential and specific legal context in relation to John Terry and Anton Ferdinand the decision has been taken to suspend the handshake convention for Sunday's match."

The Premier League stuck to their handshake policy when Liverpool met Manchester United following Luis Suarez's ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra -- when the Liverpool striker caused a storm by snubbing the French defender.

But such was the media speculation Thursday surrounding the question of whether the ritual would take place at Stamford Bridge, the Crown Prosecution Service issued a statement insisting it had not advised Terry to avoid shaking hands with Ferdinand.

"Some sections of the media have reported today (Thursday) that the CPS has advised footballer John Terry not to shake hands with Anton Ferdinand before a match this weekend. This is not correct," the CPS statement said.

"The CPS has not given any such advice to Terry or his legal representatives."

Premier League chief Richard Scudamore last month said the handshakes, introduced in 2004, would remain part of the game.

"It's not a handshake that says everybody loves everybody else," Scudamore said.

"It's a handshake that says 'whatever crap's gone on before now and whatever crap will go on after this game is over, for the next 90 minutes, let's just play a game of football'.

"It's nothing more symbolic than that, which is why in our view, they should continue -- period."

Read more on:    qpr  |  liverpool  |  epl  |  john terry  |  soccer


Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

05 December 2015
Stoke City v Manchester City, Britannia Stadium 14:45
Arsenal v Sunderland, Emirates Stadium 17:00
Swansea City v Leicester City, Liberty Stadium 17:00
Manchester United v West Ham United, Old Trafford 17:00
Southampton v Aston Villa, St. Mary's Stadium 17:00
West Bromwich Albion v Tottenham Hotspur, The Hawthorns 17:00
Watford v Norwich City, Vicarage Road 17:00
Chelsea v Bournemouth, Stamford Bridge 19:30
06 December 2015
Newcastle United v Liverpool, St. James' Park 18:00
07 December 2015
Everton v Crystal Palace, Goodison Park 22:00
Team P W PTS
Previous Results

Date Home Team Result Away Team

Who was the best summer signing in the EPL?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.