English Premiership

Everton to reject Stones request

2015-08-27 10:42
John Stones (Getty Images)

London - Everton manager Roberto Martinez confirmed that defender John Stones had handed in a formal transfer request and added the club would reject it on Thursday.

Stones, who has four years left on his Everton contract, started during the 5-3 win at Barnsley in the second round of the League Cup on Wednesday, despite formally asking Martínez if he could leave the club.

The 21-year-old is a target for Premier League champions Chelsea, who see him as a long-term replacement for the ageing John Terry.

Chelsea, reportedly, have had three bids for the young England international rejected so far and could make a fourth before the transfer deadline expires on Sept. 1.

Martinez reiterated his stance that Stones would not be sold, saying after the Barnsley game that "... in football as in life, money can't buy everything."

"We have not rejected it (the transfer request) yet because today was a match day and that was our priority," the manager said.

"We will reject it in the morning and get on with our business," he added.

"I am not surprised by the request because he is a young man who is under massive pressure from people and outside influences.

"We want to build a winning team and so we want to keep our best performers. John is a big part of our future," the 42-year-old Martinez said.

The manager also refused to criticise Stones for a perceived drop in form against Wednesday night's lower league opponents after his impressive showing in the Premier League since the start of the season.

"For a young man under massive pressure he was terrific," the manager said. "John was just a real example of how to perform under massive, massive pressure and, for me, it was an exceptional display by him.

The Spaniard did, however, repeat his criticism of the transfer window being allowed to stay open past the start of the season, a sore point that has been brought up by several other managers, including West Bromwich Albion's Tony Pulis.

"I am repeating myself but it is wrong for the football authorities to allow the window to remain open when there are important games taking place," Martinez said.

"When there is an opportunity to go to Wembley and to win silverware that should be respected and we shouldn't put our players under this massive pressure."


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

29 October 2016
Sunderland v Arsenal, Stadium of Light 13:30
Manchester United v Burnley, Old Trafford 16:00
Middlesbrough v Bournemouth, Riverside Stadium 16:00
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City, The Hawthorns 16:00
Watford v Hull City, Vicarage Road 16:00
Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City, White Hart Lane 16:00
Crystal Palace v Liverpool, Selhurst Park 18:30
30 October 2016
Everton v West Ham United, Goodison Park 15:30
Southampton v Chelsea, St. Mary's Stadium 18:00
31 October 2016
Stoke City v Swansea City, Britannia Stadium 22:00
Team P W PTS
Previous Results

Date Home Team Result Away Team

Who will claim the Premier League title at the end of the 2016/17 season?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.